Monday 18 April 2011

Basketball, basketball, basketball…. 篮球 (lánqiú)

In China, basketball is INCREDIBLY popular! I'd never played or watched a game in England but it seems basketball is THE sport in China. Usually, one of the first questions I'm asked is, "Do you like basketball?" and since being here, the answer is "Yes!".


Over the last 2 weeks I've had an absolutely fantastic time every evening as the whole of Grade 1 have been having inter-class matches. Standing in the amazing sun, surrounded by the mountains, having students laugh at my phrasebook and trying to cheer on my classes has been one of the best things I've done in China so far.


I really feel at home here and as I walk around the courts and am able to recognise faces and put names and class numbers to them. It's a great feeling… especially considering I teach around 720 students!  It's lovely to have students wave, say hello and smile as they now recognise me as their teacher and for me it's great to see the same familiar faces.


The students who are amazing at English or are frequently come to English Corner are always great fun as I see them more as friends now. Outside of lessons I can have a go at practicing my rubbish Chinese with them and just have a lot of fun with my numerous Zhōngwen lǎoshī (Chinese Teachers)!


I've learnt a few new fun phrases – all to do with basketball!

  • Chā yīdiǎn – So close!
  • Wǒ hěn hàipà! – I'm very scared (Say this after the basketball has been flung into the space you were just standing in!)
  • And a way to get around the awkward question of: "Who are you cheering for?"
    Wǒmen jīayóu! – Everyone, let's go!

 

China life is fabulous as ever on the basketball courts, I'm always sad when they end and the students head back to class. Zoe and I have swapped classes and I now teach Grade 2, so the basketball matches were my chance to see my Grade 1 students again. When I went away for the weekend I missed the Friday evening matches and I sat on my sleeper bus texting students saying "I miss the basketball! Jiayou!" and it was sweet getting texts back with "Thank you! I hope you happy everyday and we want you to teach us again. Class 2". "It's nothing. There will many greater games you can watch next week!" "Thank you! Have a safe trip and be careful of your bag."

 

I miss my students even during the weekend! What will happen when I go back to England…?

No comments:

Post a Comment