Friday 24 September 2010

Fiji: Viro's Guides

Before I came to Ovalau Island I went to the the Girlguiding HQ in Suva. I met the two lovely ladies who work there and got to have a nose around Guiding HQ for the Pacific Islands! I've been involved with Guiding since I was 5 in the UK and so it was one of the best things every for me to know that I had Guiding friends in Fiji too.

There's a Guide Law that says: "A Guide is a sister to all other Guides"

I think it's definitely true since I've come all the way to the other side of the world and it definitely does feel like being back with a family! Tai and Mere were really welcoming and when I arrived, they sat me down to tell me all about Guiding in Fiji.

Me with Tai and Mere

Young girls sewing the Guide/Brownie uniforms- all handmade at the HQ!

When I arrived at Viro Primary School I took over the Guides (there were only 2 of them) and Brownies. Since I arrived there are now 9 Guides and the Brownies have meetings with a separate leader meaning the older girls can do some more suitable activities!

Today I'm in Levuka waiting to go for a meeting at another school for all the Guide Leaders. Last week was the fist meeting to plan the Girl Guide Centenary Camp (Celebration of 100 years of Girl Guides) which is happening in Levuka, Ovalau (the place of the first Girl Guide group in Fiji) and I was very kindly asked to help plan it! Kiarah (another Lattitude Volunteer who is at Rukuruku) and I will be planning the cooperative games for the camp on Saturday afternoon and so we're hoping numbers are confirmed soon so we know which games to organise! Today I'm going back to plan some more, confirm numbers and pay for myself - all very exciting!

I was a bit bummed earlier this year since I couldn't go to the UK Centenary Camp since I was saving money to go to Fiji.... what brilliant luck that I'm in Fiji for THEIR Centenary Camp! I'm really proud of my girls who are currently practicing a play to perform at the camp as part of a talent show on the Saturday night. For all of them it's their first ever school trip, let alone camp so I feel very lucky to be the one taking them away.

No comments:

Post a Comment